Thursday, May 5, 2011

Chapter Two: The Annie Oakley Omen


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter Two: The Annie Oakley Omen

So we had chosen a little house just outside the Town,it was rustic, and wrapped with tall Cedars, overlooking the Lake. It was quiet and peaceful. We had spent many monthes attempting to decide on our new Home. We looked at buying and renting, exploring many houses and neighborhoods.Bellingham was full of special areas and sweet spots. We decided that living by the Lake was the best area.It would be nice to be away from traffic and noise.So on a sunny humid August Morning we moved into our new Home, the Cabin.

We found a little Cabin, a house built in the 70's with cedar shingles and a wrap around porch and many windows and a gas stove. It reminded us of a camp cabin in the Adirondacks.The landlord was a single mom that had moved to another area out of town.We were a bit unclear as to what her plans were with the house. But we moved in the end of August with our little herd of animals and all of our books and homeschool supplies.

My son is always in charge of Exploring, checking the rooms for left over goodies.He ran through the house checking everything.My husband and I began unpacking the Uhaul with some friends. Suddenly my son came and found me, and sure enough he had stumbled onto something that was alarming.

He came and grabbed my arm and dragged me into the Kitchen, and pointed inside the drawer.
" I don't think it is a toy" he whispered.
I tried to reassure him saying that the Landlord was a mom with a teenage son, that I was sure it was Okay.
I opened the drawer and stared at the gun.
I don't know anything about guns, but I knew for sure this was NOT a toy, and was indeed a real gun. I stood breathless and thankful that my son, a boy of eight had not picked up the gun and played with it. He had never seen a gun, although we had discussed guns and gun safety, but it had never ever come to our door.
I picked it up and held it and looked at the loaded gun. I could not imagine WHY a Mom would keep such thing in the Kitchen.
I was stunned.

I explained to my son that we would get it out of the house and give it to the Landlord as soon as possible. He nodded , eyes huge, and very quietly nodded. I told him I was proud of him for not touching it or playing with it. He said he KNEW it was not a toy, that he just knew.

I placed the gun in a bag and put it in my car and made a phone call to the landlord and said I needed to return Something that she left in the kitchen. She called back within hours, said she was at a neighbor's having cocktails ( it was 11 am). I said I would be right over. I walked to the address she gave me. They were indeed having pitchers of cocktails. I asked her to come outside so we could talk. I did not want to make a scene in front of New Neighbors ( I was embarrassed for her mostly). I handed her the McDonalds Bag with the gun inside. And I let her know I was not happy about this turn of events.

" Dodie, I am a mom, and I am not happy that my son found a loaded gun in the Kitchen, as a our landlord- you are very lucky that he did not play with this. This could have turned out very differently".

" Oh Honey, you are making a big deal out of nothing. Guns are a way of life up here. I didn't even know that this puppy was Missing. I got one in my car and one in my purse." She laughed as she casually put it in the front seat of her golden Caddie, next to her purse. She shook her Showgirl Blond hair in the summer breeze and I could smell the Aquanet and Lady Stetson and the Bloody Marys .I realized she did indeed look like a Country Singer, but she was indeed a Pistol Packing Mama.

" So you had a loaded gun in the Kitchen, are there any Problems here that we don't know about or should know about ?"

She laughed again and shook her head.
" Honey , this is the land of Cowboys and Cougars, you don't be so naive. But really nice people and good times. You need to lighten up."

I watched her swagger back to the Pitchers of Bloody Mary's and shook my head as I walked back to our New Home. I was confused and worried.

My son met me at the door, and looked at me.
" Did she even know it was missing? I bet she has more..."
I nodded and told him he was indeed right....I tried to make a joke of it.
" I guess we are renting from a Real Annie Oakley, a reall gun toting mama."

That night when I tucked him in he said " I just hope that Annie Oakley is not a bad Omen, but I am not feeling real good about it." I rubbed his head and told him not to worry, because that is what moms do, even when they are worried.

He sighed and said " you know it isn't the first omen, really."

I sang "This Old Man", which is what I used to do when he was worried....and I thought about what he said, but mostly I pondered the Loaded Gun.....